The— located in Buckinghamshire, England — announced the nominees for the second-annual Sue Gibson, BSC Cinematography Award, which recognizes a NFTS cinematography alumni who has advanced the profession of cinematography in a significant way.
The 2018 nominees include (above photo, from left):
- Jakob Ihre for Thelma
- Charlotte Bruus Christensen for A Quiet Place (See production story here.)
- Roger Deakins, ASC, BSC for Blade Runner 2049 (See production story here.)
- Benjamin Kracun for Beast
- Ula Pontikos, BSC for Film Stars Don’t Die in Liverpool (See production story here.)
- Benoit Soler for Mobile Homes
The award celebrates the legacy of, BSC, who was the first female member of the and the organization’s first female president.
“Sue Gibson was a trailblazer. She achieved a number of female firsts as a cinematographer,” said NFTS director Jon Wardle. “Our cinematography alumni have had a remarkable 12 months, winning Oscars and BAFTAs and earning Emmy nominations. I am also particularly proud of the fact that half of the female members of the BSC were trained at this school, [which is] something that I think is fitting as a legacy for Sue, the first female president of the BSC.”